Last week I mentioned that I loved to decorate for St. Patricks Day. Well, for those of you who follow along, you also know that I love to make wreaths. I make one for every holiday. I even have a special place in my house that gets the 'new' wreath almost every month. So I couldn't not make a wreath for St. Patricks Day, right? Obviously not, so here is what I came up with!
While browsing I found my inspiration from this cute wreath. You can see it here. This wreath uses burlap and fabric scraps and I just so happen to have a ton of burlap just sitting around, so I decided to make a burlap and fabric scrap wreath of my own.
Making this wreath cost me next to nothing. Like I said before, I had the burlap sitting around and I know that I had bought it at JoAnn's while it was on a 50% off sale. The fabric was also incredibly cheap because with it already being March, Hobby Lobby had it on for 50% off as well. I used buttons from my ever growing collection, so the only other thing I had to buy was the wreath form. But, at 40% off of $3.99, it hardly even counts. ;-) Including all of my supplies, this wreath cost me under $10.00!!
Can't Get Started Without:
~Wreath form ( I used a straw one and left the plastic on it)
~Co-ordinating fabrics of your choice (I chose to pick 4 different ones, but you can use as many or as few as you'd like)
~Glue gun and glue sticks
~A good pair of sewing scissors (if you have good scissors, it speeds up the process)
The first step is to find a shamrock shape that you like, as you will be using this for your stencil. I found mine on my silhouette and cut it onto some heavy cardstock. I then took all of my fabrics and my burlap and traced my shamrocks onto all of the material. For my circles, I used a cup and traced around it.
I found that I needed a lot more circles than I originally cut and a lot fewer shamrocks. ( I now have a ton of fabric shamrocks hanging around that I need to find something to do with).
Once you have all of your pieces cut out, it is time to get glueing. I started with my circles and just glued them all over the wreath form to cover the plastic. There was no rhyme or reason to my placement, I just used whatever piece I picked up. I was a tiny bit nervous at this point because the under layer of the wreath just isn't that pretty, but I kept on trucking and am quite happy with the finished product.
As you can see, I didn't cover the back of the wreath to save myself some time and fabric. :)
I decided to make a mini pennant (because who doesn't love pennants) for the middle. All I did was cut out some little triangles and with a green marker wrote 'Happy Go Lucky'. I then glued each piece to some yarn (that I had previously measured to the wreath). I glued on a few more buttons and attached it to the wreath with, you guessed it, more glue and voila! It was a great finishing touch. I think it added that certain 'missing' element.
I think this wreath turned out great. It was incredibly simple and I got to use a lot of the extra supplies that I have lying around.